Saying “no” to sugar is not always easy. Here are a few helpful tips to help you break free from junk food cravings:
- Gradually cut back on sugary foods. Stopping cold turkey is typically more difficult than slowly reducing unhealthy foods from your diet.
- Try adding MCT oil to your morning routine. Add a teaspoon to your coffee in the morning or smoothie and this can stimulate appetite suppression, meaning you won’t reach for the doughnut in the break room!
- Hydrate! Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. Drinking water when you’re feeling hungry, may dissipate your craving. Furthermore, drinking water before meals can reduce appetite and help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Plain and simple; don’t go to grocery shopping while you’re hungry. If you do, be sure to shop the perimeter. This is where the healthiest options will be found.
- Portion out your snacks. This way you can satisfy your cravings without mindlessly eating extra calories.
- Plan out your meals for the week. This will eliminate the multiple trips to the fridge or pantry trying to figure out what you should cook (we all do this, right?). This can also help you avoid getting extremely hungry, which typically causes us to overeat unhealthy snacks.
- Reduce stress. Stress eating may cause us to crave junk food. Managing stress can diminish your cravings.
- Get enough sleep. Not enough sleep can lead to increased cravings for junk food and weight gain.