Fall is fast approaching, along with the holidays. And lets be honest, this can be the hardest time of year to stick to eating healthy. But don't you worry, Keto Pint has got you covered with this tasty fall "Apple" Pie recipe!
You might have thought that a low carb apple pie was impossible. But it’s not! We are here to help make your fall desserts that much better! 😉 The secret to this keto apple pie filling – it’s made from yellow squash! Yes, you can have your veggies AND your sugar-free apple pie all in one delicious bite.
If putting summer squash in pie filling sounds a little strange, don’t be deterred. The texture is completely unmistakable and tastes just like apple pie. We promise! Plus, a scoop of our sea salt caramel ice cream is the cherry on top of it all.
Ready to make this tasty treat and encourage your friends and family to always seek that healthy alternative?
Here is what you need to get started!
- In a small pinch bowl, whisk the gelatin powder with 3 tablespoons (44 mL) lemon juice. Set aside to bloom.
- In a large 3.5-quart (3.3 liter) saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the powdered sweetener, the remaining 3 tablespoons (44 mL) lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. When the gelatin mixture has thickened, whisk it into the pan, until dissolved.
- Add the diced squash to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes, until the squash is very soft and the mixture has thickened, similar to apple pie filling.
- Stir in the maple extract.
- Set the filling aside to cool until no hotter than lukewarm, at least 20 minutes.
Keto Apple Pie Crust
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- To make the pie crust dough, follow steps 1-3 from this almond flour pie crust recipe, BUT you will use the amounts of almond flour, sweetener, sea salt, butter, egg, and vanilla above. (This is an extra amount for the top crust.)
- Add the gelatin powder and water, and use a hand mixer to combine, until uniform.
- Divide the dough in half. Press half of the dough into the lined pie pan, including the bottom and going up the sides. Set the 2nd half of the dough aside.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until just lightly golden.
- When done, set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining half of the dough between two lightly oiled pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin over the parchment paper to roll out to a circle slightly larger than the top of the pie pan, for the top crust.
Keto Apple Pie Assembly
- Preheat the oven again to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C), if it has cooled. Make sure the filling and bottom crust are both cooled to no hotter than lukewarm before assembling.
- Gently transfer the cooled filling to the cooled bottom crust.
- Lift the top piece of parchment paper off the rolled out top crust. Using the bottom piece of parchment paper, carefully and rapidly flip the top crust over onto the pie, then gently peel off the parchment paper. Use a knife to cut any excess top crust off the edges, making sure it still completely covers the bottom crust. Use your fingers to press the edges down to seal. Cut 4 slits in the top of the pie(s). Repeat steps if making small pies.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are browned. Cover the edges of the pie with foil and bake for an additional 5-15 minutes, until the top crust is light golden and semi-firm to the touch. (It will not fully firm up until after cooling.)
- Remove the pie(s) from the oven and cool completely before cutting or removing from the pan.
This recipe can make one 10 inch pie or about 8 small individual pies. We decided to make individual pies as we are all about portion control! Be sure to add a scoop or two of our sea salt caramel ice cream for that perfect hot & cold combo we all know and love.
For an extra little caramel drizzle we used ChocZero's 0 sugar caramel sauce!